News & Media
News and Updates from Residence XII staff and the treatment community
Monday, September 10, 2012
Did you know that about 4.5 million American women abuse alcohol and about 3.5 million American women misuse prescription drugs? Women and chemical dependency
- About 4.5 million American women abuse alcohol.
- About 3.5 million American women misuse prescription drugs.
- About 3.1 million regularly use illicit drugs.
- Approximately 40,000 women die of alcohol-related illnesses and injuries each year.
- Female alcoholics have death rates up to twice as high as male alcoholics.
- Women become more susceptible to the effects of alcohol as they age.
- Female alcoholics live 15 years less than women in the general population.
- 19.4 million adults (18+) abuse or are dependent on alcohol or drugs
- 14.9 million full and part-time employees, regularly abuse or are dependent on alcohol or drugs
- More than 74 percent of substance abusers hold jobs
- The cost of alcohol and drug abuse to companies in the US totals more than $100 billion a year
- 10 times more likely to miss work
- 3.6 times more likely to be involved in on-the-job accidents
- 5 times more likely to injure themselves or another in the process
- 5 times more likely to file a worker’s compensation claim