Media & News:
Event Recap: Second Annual Power of Recovery Walk
In recognition of National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month, the Second Annual Recovery Walk was held at Carillon Point in Kirkland on September 22, 2007. The purpose of the Walk was to remove the stigma surrounding addiction, eliminate barriers to treatment and put a face on recovery.
Local supporters of the event included the Kirkland Chamber of Commerce, Carillon Point, explorekirkland.com, and the Kirkland Kiwanis Sunrisers. Hundreds of walkers enjoyed a beautiful day along the waterfront, musical entertainment and food, activities for children and adults as well as information booths. Grand Marshall Grant Goodeve, host of “Northwest Backroads,” led the Walk and spoke as did others,including:
- Lori Anderson – Chairperson of Hazelden Springbrook’s Alumni Chapter who spoke about “Unmasking the Stigma of Addiction”
- Diane Conway – author, creative coach, entertainer and author of the book What Would You Do If You Had No Fear? (website)
- Stephen H. O’Neil – Director of Washington State Screening, Brief Intervention, Referral and Treatment Project who spoke about “Recovery Advocacy”
- Liz Scott – Professional chef and author of the books The Sober Kitchen and Sober Celebrations (website)
- Neil Scott – Host of RECOVERY-Coast to Coast (website) America’s national nightly two-hour talk radio show dealing with addiction and recovery
Amidst the walk events and activities, Mel Schulstad was recognized with the very first Recovery Ambassador Lifetime Achievement Award for his achievements andoutstanding performance in the field of dependency treatment. Colonel Schulstad wastwice awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for valor in combat and is one of the founding fathers and first President of the National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors which was created in 1972. An annual award has been created in his honor by the United States Secretary of Health and Human Services and NAADAC to recognize outstanding performance by an individual in the field of chemical dependency.
We wish to thank all the Recovery Walk sponsors including: Cyndy Murphy of Coldwell Banker Bain, Evergreen Healthcare, Fairfax Hospital, Hazelden, Highline Addiction Recovery, Marriott Courtyard, Prometa, Residence XII, and Sundown M Ranch.
Visit the official Power of Recovery Walk website>>